Haitian recipe: How to make Plantain Bowls
You can stuff your bowls with whatever you desire as far as protein and even veggies for a vegetarian version. Whether it be shrimps, fried pork, shredded chicken, or even a curried mixed vegetables. It’s all up to you. Today we will only work on making the bowls/cups.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 to 24 bowls (depending on desired size: 6L or 9 M or 15 S)
- 4 plantains (or unripe bananas)
- 1 cup oil for frying (soy, peanut,sunflower or coconut)
To make the bowls
- Pre-heat oven to 200 F [100 ºC].
- Peel the bananas (or plantains). Cut into 3 to 6 slices depending on the desired bowl/cup sizes .
Cut in 3 if you desire Medium cups; in 6 for small bowls;and in 2 for large bowls. Also keep in mind the bigger your slices, the longer the cooking time will be.
- Heat oil for frying over medium temperature.
- Fry each slice until they are golden brown all over.
- Squeeze the slices using a lemon squeezer forming small cups.(There are 3 sizes for the squeezers :S,M,L)
-Once all the cups are formed, fry them again over medium heat until all the light parts have turned golden brown. Remove from oil and sit on paper towel to absorb extra oil.
Also sprinkle some salt or All Purpose Seasonings to your taste.
-Turn off the oven and leave the bowls in the oven until you are ready to stuff them.
By Wynne Kitchen : Facebook Page